Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Some thoughts....

Lately, I've been pondering my life and how I've had to abandon a lot of what I've been taught. I was in therapy at age 16-17 and the therapist would tell me that I'm depressed because I lacked self-esteem. I disagreed, but I never could understood why, until I became a Christian. I've been in therapy on and off since then(I'm 36) but I never really felt comfortable with therapy until late last year. It took years to find the right therapist. Not once has my current therapist told me I need self-esteem. Phew!

Self-esteem is unBiblical. Where in the Bible does it say to love yourself? I now know that I needed love when I was told I needed self-esteem. I wasn't getting it the way I needed. We are being so de-sensitized nowadays due to busy schedules and political correctness that showing love seems harder to do. Lack of time and stress can make things very difficult. It tends to make us focus on self. What we need to do is focus on Jesus and then our families. Slow down, take time to spend in the Word. We are to die to self.

2 Corinthians 5:17
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!

Now I reread the paragraph and thought "political correctness?" I originally meant the fact that there is not a lot of public showing of affections nowaday. I've heard that in Britain, you need a license to kiss and hug your children in public due to fear of pedophilia. I am not sure if that's true, but if it is, we're in trouble! Kids need to know they are loved. Not by getting that Wii or Playstation. But a physical touch. Telling and showing them they're loved.

No comments: